Art in the Cathedral
The history of the Cathedral continues to evolve and is reflected in the art and artefacts in the Cathedral. Prior Castell's clock, a 15th or early 16th century masterpiece was taken down in 1845 as being too frivolous for a Cathedral but was restored and replaced in 1938. It was followed by Sir Ninian Comper's canopy in the Feretory of Christ in Glory, now flanked by banners of Cuthbert and Oswald by Thetis Blacker. The link between the Diocese of Durham and Lesotho is marked in the North Transept by the Lesotho banner.
In recent years several new works of art have been introduced to the Cathedral, including:
- the Daily Bread Window near the north door
- the Millennium Window in the South Quire Aisle
- Bede's commentary on the Apocalypse designed by Frank Roper and George Pace
- the Annunciation statue by Joseph Pyrz
- the Last Supper table by Colin Wilbourn in the Galilee Chapel
- the Pietà by local sculptor Fenwick Lawson and Paula Rego's painting of St Margaret in the Chapel of the Nine Altars
- various altar frontals and kneelers made by the Cathedral Broderers
- the Lama Sabachthani sculpture by the Russian Orthodox sculptor, Kirill Sokolov, given by his widow and dedicated in 2007
A stained glass window on the theme of ‘Transfiguration’ has been commissioned to commemorate Michael Ramsey, former Canon of this Cathedral, Bishop of Durham and Archbishop of Canterbury. It has been designed by the stained glass artist Tom Denny and is being donated by the Friends of Durham Cathedral to mark their 75th anniversary in 2008. We hope that it will be installed in 2010.
The Cathedral provides a studio for the Durham Cathedral Artist in Residence, a project of the Arts and Recreation Chaplaincy. Further information can be found at http://www.artschaplaincy.org.uk/projects/air.html.
Durham Cathedral Broderers
Durham Cathedral Broderers were founded in 1978 by Mrs Phyllis Richardson, who convened the group until 2002. The Broderers undertake repair and renewal work for the Cathedral, and have completed a number of major projects commissioned by Chapter, and designed by such distinguished experts such as Leonard Childs and Malcolm Lochhead. Notable examples of their outstanding work are to be found in the Nine Altars Chapel, but many other contributions to the beauty of the Cathedral may be seen and enjoyed by a discerning visitor.
The Broderers are now led by Tracy A. Franklin, a freelance embroiderer based in Fowlers Yard, Durham City. The future promises new work for the Broderers and the Cathedral too.
For more information, please contact Tracy A. Franklin via the Cathedral Office.