Durham Cathedral and Durham University
Just as there would be no Cathedral in Durham without St Cuthbert, so there would be no University in Durham without the Cathedral. In 1832 the Bishop of Durham, Bishop Van Mildert, and the Cathedral Chapter provided the endowments that enabled the foundation of Durham University. Bishop Van Mildert gave the university his Durham residence, The Castle, which is on the north side of Palace Green and formed the first college of the new university. This historical connection is retained to this day, expressed most visibly in the fact that all university degree ceremonies are held in the Cathedral. The Van Mildert Professor of Divinity is a Canon Residentiary of the Cathedral.