Durham Cathedral Archives
Durham Cathedral Muniments date back to the late eleventh century and form the largest archive to survive at any English cathedral. They are of exceptional importance for the medieval period, comprising original charters, many with their seals still attached, copies of documents issued in the name of the monastic cathedral chapter, numerous account-rolls and other estate documents, original letters addressed to the monks, and much else; the great bulk of the material is in Latin.
Much fuller details are available from the Durham University website, as well as a selection of images of medieval documents and of medieval seals:
Visiting the Muniments
The Muniments are in the care of Durham University Library and are housed in a former canon's house in the Cathedral precincts, where there are good reading-room facilities; they are normally accessible Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm. Everyone wishing to use them should make an arrangement to do so in advance.
Enquiries should be addressed to The Archivist, 5 The College, Durham DH1 3EQ; telephone 0191 334-1210; email email@example.com.
Links to other archives
The records generated by the administration of the diocese are deposited in the Palace Green section of Durham University Library.
Parochial records are to be found at the Durham County Record Office at County Hall.