printed books

The Cathedral’s printed books date from 1473 and comprise collections acquired by the Cathedral Chapter and the Sharp Library.

The Chapter collection of printed books is very broad, encompassing Bibles, commentaries, history, law, natural history, polemics, classics, travel, atlases and Hebraica. The collection of early printed books is very extensive, with 30,000 titles published between the 15th and 19th centuries. There is also a substantial collection of local maps and prints and a very large collection of 17th to 18th dissertations from European universities. The post-1851 collection specialises in church history, local history, bibliography and architecture. 

The Sharp Library is owned by the Lord Crewe’s Charity. It is a lending library of modern theology, open to all clergy, ordinands, theology students and other diocesan readers. Further information is available here.