The DLI Chapel is a MEMORIAL chapel dedicated to the Durham Light Infantry (DLI).


First established as the 68th regiment of foot soldiers in 1758, The Durham Light Infantry was formalised as such in 1881. The DLI played an important role in the First and Second World Wars, fighting in every major battle. The regiment remained until 1968, at which point it was decided that it would join with two other county light infantry regiments to form the Light Infantry.

The DLI Chapel was created as a memorial chapel in 1922 and was designed by prominent church architect W.D. Caroe.

Today, visitors to the Cathedral can see the Books of Remembrance on display in the DLI Chapel. These two books commemorate those that died in the two World Wars, (over 12,600 in the first and 3,000 in the second). The pages are turned daily, as the books are in date order with the casualties recorded on the date that they died.

Also on display is the Butte Cross, one of three battlefield crosses erected on top of a chalk hill called the Butte de Warlencourt following the Battle of the Somme. The crosses were made in memory of the soldiers of the 6th, 8th and 9th Battalions Durham Light Infantry who had died there in November 1916. The other crosses are housed at the parish churches of St Andrew in Bishop Auckland and St Mary and St Cuthbert in Chester-le-Street.

In 2016, as part of the Cathedral’s First World War commemorations, a temporary exhibition reunited the three crosses to form a poignant and powerful witness. The exhibition of the three crosses and associated learning programme was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, who granted £9,900 to the Cathedral.

Other points of interest include what are probably the last two wooden seats remaining from the building’s medieval quire, and a window above the altar depicting St Cuthbert, probably the oldest surviving example of stained glass in the building.