special service - sung eucharist for the foundation of the cathedral

13 August 2017
11.15am

Following the demolition of the earlier Saxon Cathedral, known as the White Church, the Foundation Stone of the present Norman Cathedral was laid on 11 August 1093 by the Bishop, William of St Carileph, and the Prior, Turgot, in the presence of King Malcolm of Scotland. Today, on the 924th anniversary of the foundation of the Cathedral, we give thanks for this holy and beautiful House, for the continuity of worship and prayer, for the saints of this place and especially Cuthbert, Oswald and Bede, and for the mission and ministry of this Cathedral as we seek in our generation to make Christ known.