Love Durham Cathedral?Donate now

We have some spectacular windows in the Cathedral, some of which date back to the 14th century.

The Rose window

The magnificent Rose window is an 18th century reworking of its medieval predecessor. It lies above the Chapel of the Nine Altars.

Find out more about the Chapel of the Nine Altars

The Daily Bread window

This window near the North Door was a gift from the staff of Durham’s Marks and Spencer shop in 1984.

It depicts the Last Supper as seen from above and was designed by Mark Angus.

The Millennium window

In the South Quire aisle you can see the window installed in 1995 to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of St Cuthbert’s Shrine arriving at Durham.

It combines Holy Island and St Cuthbert with the modern world. For example a university computer is shown printing a 12th century account of moving St Cuthbert’s coffin.

The Jesse window

The tracery, meaning stonework, in the great west window is from the mid-14th century. The glass is from about 1850.

WWII stained glass window

Windows from the 1950s

These include the Royal Air Force memorial and those above the doors leading to the Galilee Chapel depicting St Cuthbert and St Oswald.

The Transfiguration window

This window was installed in memory of Archbishop Michael Ramsey in 2010. He was our canon and then Bishop during the 1940s and 1950s before becoming Archbishop of Canterbury.

It includes many different images reflecting the glory of God along with stories from the Bible and Durham’s history. It was designed by artist Tom Denny and given by the Friends of Durham Cathedral.

More about the Friends of Durham Cathedral